Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wikipedia, the most accurate information because. . .

. . . anyone can add to it. I can't remember Michael Scott's exact words about Wikipedia on The Office, but it was something similar to that--it being the most accurate information out there. Ha ha.

However, I was told six months ago, by our close-up editor at the Tribune, that "Wikipedia is not a credible source for information in our articles." Hmmm, I wonder why.

But really, there is a lot you can glean from Wikipedia. I love using it to find out little tidbits of information while working on my novel, like did Julius Caesar's mother really have a C-section? On which street in Key West was Hemingway's house? There really is some good information out there--despite who's adding or changing stuff in there.

For example, Eric and I have been trying to figure out why our local deli can't order us Provel cheese. Provel cheese, what is that? you ask. Well, Provel cheese is the cheese they use on my favorite pizza in St. Louis, Imo's (and appears to be a processed mix of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheese--I know now, thank you very much to Wikipedia). You can buy it at deli's in St. Louis, even at Schnuck's. What I found interesting, during my search of Provel cheese on Wikipedia, is that the cheese is really only eaten in the St. Louis area. And the restaurants there use it A LOT! How could everyone else in the world not love it? Even Eric loves it (and he's a professed cheese snob--processed cheese doesn't ever belong on his plate).

After a good half-hour of learning about Provel cheese and whether I can order it online, I started getting the strangest feeling in my stomach. Okay, it wasn't that strange--I've definitely had cravings before as I've gone through three full-term pregnancies--but man did I want some Provel cheese (or an Imo's pizza would do) at that moment. I even dreamed of eating at Imo's last night and that my sister Susannah yelled at James Agne (a boy from grade school) for trying to take the last piece of pizza with the most cheese on it.

I dare you--try it. Is there anything you have a question about? Wikipedia probably knows the answer. Just use it as your starting point and not as your "credible" source.