Monday, November 26, 2007

Not-so-Black Friday

Yes, I went shopping on Black Friday. I took Bianca to the mall so we could pick up a couple things--mainly I needed to get something for Eric at Macy's and they'd advertised a "free breakfast set," which included a pancake bowl, spatula, whisk, snowflake mold (to make snow-flake shaped pancakes), and a snowflake towel. They still had them and the lady threw in a free mini Christmas Tree w/ ornaments to boot.

Then we went to Gymboree, and I let Bianca pick out a dress (oh my gosh--I love the new winter dresses!). Then since it was around 2, we decided to stop at the pretzel stand. We were just going to share a pretzel and cheese and a couple lemonades (I won't share with her because she's still sick, which it's been nearly four weeks now and we've been singing around the house that it's "the cold that never ends.")

Anyway, the total came to about $6. I handed over my MC because it's one of those lame places that only takes visa or MC. Well, after a couple swipes, the lady told me my card didn't go through. I thought with dread how Eric had told me a couple weeks ago that they sent new cards and I didn't "call in to verify" so they stopped our card. I pleaded with them to take my Discover card. "Sorry." Everyone behind me in line (and yes, there was a line as we'd been waiting for nearly 10 minutes to order) was looking at me holding my Gymboree and Macy's bags and undoubtedly thinking that this lady has a maxing-out-her-credit-cards problem. I gazed forlornly at the steaming pretzel and cheese and lemonades, then said I was sorry for wasting their time. Bianca let out a cry of despair, and we began to walk away.

I felt a touch on my arm and a middle-school-aged girl said, "My grandma is going to pay for you."

I turned back around, explained she didn't have to do that. Could I please buy her something with my Discover card somewhere. No. Are you sure? Yes? I thanked her profusely. Bianca and I scarfed down our pretzel. Sometimes I think we forget how kind people can be. And I wondered if I'd ever do that for someone else. Probably not, had this not happened to me. But I've resolved that if I ever see this happening to someone else, I'm going to step up. What a great example this woman is to her grandkids. I want to be that person for my kids.

The rest of the shopping trip was a daze of people hurtling in front of people, lines everywhere. As Bianca and I were driving out of the mall parking lot, a woman was at the intersection with her poster. And yes, I know these people might not be who we think they are. But right there is a teaching experience for my daughter. I searched my car for something I can give this woman regardless of who she was. Turns out, the only thing we could find was a party-size Butterfinger. We rolled down the window and asked her if she wanted it. She did. God bless. Merry Christmas.