Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A dog and a baby--just a couple anecdotes

With Bianca in school all day, I've got two constant companions--Portia, of course, and Tigger, who follows us from room to room. He even tries to sit on my boppy pillow while I'm nursing the baby--up until recently when Portia's been much grabbier. Anyway, I had a couple funny things happen and thought I'd share:

Since I still have a weekly piano assignment, I have to practice daily. I keep a blanket on the floor by the piano and a couple toys for Portia to play with while I practice. She actually enjoys the music sometimes--I can tell by her reaction that she loves the music from Pride and Prejudice and doesn't quite love "Have I done any good today?" Anyway, when Tigger wants to play fetch, he grabs one of his pups (they are those big-nosed stuffed dogs that were in the Happy Meals at McDonalds a couple years back). He's pulled all the eyeballs out of the pups and spends a majority of his days pulling the stuffing and beads out of the them. Nonetheless, these are his favorite fetch toys. Ever since Portia was born, I've noticed that Tigger leaves his pups by Portia's blanket. Probably dismayed that I'm playing the piano and not paying any attention to him, he brings Portia his pups and waits for her to throw them to him. I still find them by this blanket and it always cracks me up.

After I take a shower, I always wrap a towel around my head to dry my hair. Portia's usually about had it by the end of my shower (waiting in her carrier), so I go pick her up with the towel around my head. Any other time when I pick her up, Portia stops crying. However, if I have a towel on my head, she cries even harder and doesn't stop until I take the towel off. I guess she doesn't recognize me or is just scared that I look different. Who knows, but I think it's funny.

I turned on the fireplace during one of the past cold days we've had. I spread a blanket in front of the fire and read a book until Portia woke from her nap. Tigger LOVES the fireplace. Probably because he has so little fur and it keeps him warm. At first when I laid Portia down by Tigger, she kind of pet his fur. But then she found his ear and grabbed. I know it hurts him by the way he yelps (which he also does sometimes when he wants to get away from Bianca and she isn't hurting him; he's quite the actor, but this time I admit that it probably did hurt). Anyway, it was so funny, Tigger couldn't decide which was worse--sitting by Portia or not being by the warm fire. He kept getting up, undecidedly, and then moving each time she rolled a centimeter toward him.