Friday, October 12, 2007

Why I don't trust dentists

I don't know why I'm writing this now. The only reason I've even thought about dentists in the last two months is because my friend Christie called and was looking for a trustworthy dentist in the area and Eric's cousin just moved away to the east coast to go to dental school, only to be another dentist among a sea of dentists in the world (it seems like there's a practice on every corner nowadays). But here it is, the reason I don't trust dentists.

Over two years ago, I saw an advertisement saying that you could get a free teeth whitening if you go to this particular dentist (a $500 value!). Sure, my previous dentist, Uncle George--who is actually Eric's boss' uncle--is all the way over in Sugarhouse and I was tired of driving that far. So, I thought: Okay, it's time to switch to something closer.

Let me preface this by saying I've never had a cavity in my entire life. Never. I always attributed it to the flouride in the water where I grew up (although we had well water at my house, maybe I got enough of it at the drinking fountain at school). Anyhoo, I never had one. But when I went to see this dentist he told me I had not one cavity, not two, but EIGHT!!!! Eight cavities and I'd never had one before.

They drew out how much it was all going to cost, how much my dental insurance would cover, what I'd have to pay. I can't remember now, but it was something like $500 out of my own pocket. Then the dentist told me how vital it was that I get this work done immediately, then smiled his sparkling big-white-teeth smile (the guy knew he was goodlooking, I'll give him that, he was).

Even worst, the free teeth whitening was only available if I did a certain preventative process--that my insurance didn't cover, by the way. So, I didn't get the teeth whitening after all.

Well, I was going to get the work done. I really was, but then the accident happened and teeth were the least of my worries. About six months after that, I decided to make the trek all the way to Sugarhouse and see Uncle George before I had the work done.

Turns out, I didn't have any cavities. I was furious. I called Get Gephardt, then the Better Business Bureau. Whatever. They called me said they'd heard of this happening all the time, but knew how it was going to go--the dentist will insist he has a new, ultra-modern tool that shows cavities that most other dentists can't see. Still, he was going to pay the dentist a visit, but it would probably be to no avail. They were right.

I'm sorry, but if a dentist can't detect a cavity without this great little tool, I'd rather wait. And I'm still waiting. And still have had no problems with my teeth.

Uncle George has since gotten sick and doesn't practice anymore. I'm afraid to go anywhere else. I don't want to happen upon one where they DO carry this nifty little cavity-detection-before-the-cavity-even-exists tool. Maybe I'll brush really well and just wait the four years until Eric's cousin gets back here from dental school and starts his own practice, maybe it'll be on my corner. I'll be sure to warn him against investing in that little tool.