Friday, September 14, 2007

House Hunters

So I'm an HGTV junkie. I used to watch House Hunters all the time. Bianca and I would run around the house singing the little doorbell-ring song that they have at the beginning of the show. But that's the most I've ever known about buying a house. Eric and I never had to do that when we built our house. We walked into a model home, signed some papers, picked out some tile and paint colors, and voila! our house was ready to move in.

But I like to watch for houses that go up for sale. I'm not really interested in moving, it's just interesting to see what's going on around us. That is, until last week, when I had an afternoon with a realtor. So, we weren't looking for houses for us to move into; we're looking into buying a rental property. We thought maybe around the U or the Y. The U seems a little more expensive, so we found a couple at the Y. After all, my children very possibly could go there, along with all their cousins.

So, we found our house. It's a triplex and the rent pays for the mortgage, and seems to be "the one." So, we put on offer on it Wednesday, along with someone else. I got off the phone with Eric and I felt suddenly like there were cameras on me, and the way I spoke seemed so distant and cliche, just like the people on House Hunters. "I hope we get it, Eric." It was a little surreal.

Well, the seller came back and said whoever can put in the best offer by Friday at six wins. I've already accepted that we're not going to get it. It's okay. I haven't attached myself to it (not the way you actually move into the house in your head when it would be where you live; however, I have imagined myself going around to pick up the rent).

Who knows what will happen?

Well, I guess I will tonight a little after six.