Monday, August 21, 2006

The End of the World

Okay, so I've been hearing all these rumors--still not even sure what exactly this whole August 22, 2006 being the end of the world thing is all about--and I'm a little scared. No, not scared, actually more intrigued.

So, don't get me wrong: I don't actually believe it. But tonight as I sat at a table at The Pie eating a Greek pizza, Eric told me that tomorrow's been predicted as the end. Hmmm, I thought. Interesting.

Unforunately, we said this in front of Bianca who kept asking, "Is tomorrow really the end of the world" to which I answered, "No." Just to have her ask again and again. As we walked out of the restaurant, Bianca asked if she could swim in the fountain that has a plaque stating: No swimming or wading. "No, of course not." Then I thought, wait, if tomorrow's the end of the world, what's it going to matter? So I said, "Sure Bianca, jump right in--tomorrow is the end of the world." Well, she didn't jump in, but the guy walking past gave me an interesting look. Yes, I know what he was thinking.

As I drove home, I started thinking about why the end of the world wouldn't be such a bad thing. I'm not afraid of death. In fact, I welcome it. Sooner I can see Miranda. I wouldn't have to worry about vacuuming the carpet when I get home or order that book for Bianca's kindergarten class that I keep putting off. I was a little upset, however, that I've been working on my novel for so long and would never get to finish it.

But what would I do tonight if tomorrow really were the end? Hmmm, I'll let Bianca stay up late with us, won't make her brush her teeth tonight, and I'll leave the dirty dishes in the sink. Okay, that's the best I can do. I'm not going to go skydiving off point of the mountain just to say I've done it. It's just not me. I've never wanted to do something like that.

Regardless if the end is tomorrow or not, my world is about to change tomorrow. As my husband flies off to India again. I guess I'll go down and do the dishes after all. I wouldn't want to start off my new world alone with a sink full of dirty dishes.