Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Rainy Saturday at the Zoo

A couple friends from college were coming into town this weekend and decided to meet up at the zoo (since we all have children). I watched the weather. Knew it was going to rain and nearly freeze. Pleaded with my husband to convince them to just go to lunch instead. But at 10:00 am, I was at the Hogle (Salt Lake) Zoo.

I've never been very much impressed with Salt Lake's zoo. In fact, I feel like "zoo" is actually too strong a word for what is really there, maybe it should be called the "Hogle Animal Exhibition" or something to that effect. They raised the price. It's now $8 per person. Then an extra $1 to take a train ride that is slower than a riding lawn mower ride.

Everytime I go, it seems like there's another animal that died. Last year, somebody dropped a glove into the polar bear's cage and the polar bear tried to eat it and died. Hogle Zoo is so bad that even when they buy a new animal (as they bought an elephant from the Chicago zoo), the animal actually died in transit and they unbelievably lost the elephant's body. How do you lose an elephant's corpse? The monkeys are so old there are signs on their cages stating, "Please don't tap on the glass. This monkey is extremely old and needs its rest." Is Hogle Zoo so horrible that they can only afford to buy animals in their last legs of life? Are they cheaper if they only have a year or two to live?

I suppose I'm biased. I grew up in St. Louis where the zoo is amazing. It's free and it usually takes two full days to see everything. (Hogle Zoo typically takes two hours.) The St. Louis Zoo always has something new. A couple years back, they opened a penguin and puffin house that is kept at 30 degrees year round. I feel for the poor sweating penguins at the Hogle Zoo. I spend a month every summer at home with my parents and take my daughter to the zoo a couple times a week while I'm there. That way, I'm not forced to spend the money to take her to the crappy Hogle Zoo.

Sometimes it's a sacrifice to see old college friends. I hope they realize how much I like them to brave the cold rain and pay $22 to see dying animals. Well, as long as we get to reminisce about college days at lunch afterward, I guess it's worth it.