Tuesday, May 9, 2006

My Night with the Liberals

I'm not a political person. Never have been. Usually, when people start talking about politics, I shut down pretty quickly, staring at the wall or find something new to snack on. Anything to drown out the noise of political talk.

But last night, I spent an interesting, extremely exhilerating evening with the ACLU. My friend Dani was hired to play the piano for the talent show. Since I had a small (and I mean minute) influence on her career, she summoned me to come along as her page-turner. A free dinner? A night in Park City? Sure. We drove to Park City (unfortunately, the drive there was a bit twisty and we had to pull off to the side of the road once). We arrived at the Canyons several minutes early. Ryan, the planner of the event, hopped into my X3, not seeing Dani's energy drink in the cupholder, and flipped his knee up, spilling it all over my dash, while I cringed and urged them out, so I could clean up before it became a sticky mess. I then let the valet take my car.

The talent show was fun. I was most entertained by Ryan's performances. He was a drama queen, and sang a song I still (a day later) cannot will from my head, You can't take the Color out of Colorado. Oh, the song was great. Some of my favorite lines are as follows: You can't take the Sissy out of Mississippi, he's there and he's going to stay. You can't kick our asses out of Massachusetts, You can't run the homos out of Oklahoma. You can't have NYC without Queens. Take the orgi out of Georgia, if you must. You can try to take the KY out of Kentucky. It was so funny! Ryan, you were awesome!

I also liked Eric's and Debbie's performances. Although Debbie reminded me a bit of Chandler's (dad) singing "It's Raining Men" in one of the classic Friends episodes. But the highlight was definitely the beat poetry recitation and singing Bob Marley. It rocked. I had so much fun.

I don't necessarily agree with the everything the ACLU stands for, but they know how to have their fun. And politics are a lot more fun when they come in the form of a song!