Monday, June 25, 2007

What's in your heaven?

A couple days before dad passed away, he started saying crazy things while he crept in and out of sleep. Before he lost the ability to speak, he said something that now seems so intriguing. These were his words: "I always knew there was something on the other side, but I thought I'd relate to it."

I'm not sure what this means. He also said something about where those two guys went who were standing "right there," where no one had been for hours. These were our last signs.

I always thought that heaven would be things we liked. So, of course heaven would be filled with food that would never put a calorie in us. (We wouldn't have bodies, so of course not. It would just melt away after we were able to taste it.) But would there be food? Food is required because we have bodies. Without bodies, would it be there?

But it makes SOOO many people happy. Of course there would be food.

My sister Susannah pictures the food from Harry Potter--how it just comes and is delicious and then disappears. No clean-up. Now there's an idea.

Maybe it doesn't necessarily mean we have things because we need them, but because we want them.

I guess that means there's running, without actually making our bodies any thinner. But maybe there wouldn't be shortness of breath or sweat. . .

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say, but I also wonder if our "heaven" or "other side" isn't something we can relate to. Like maybe something so absurd that we don't have any idea. Not things that we understand, like food or exercise.

What do you think would be in your heaven?