Thursday, March 22, 2007

I'm ready to take my dog to the humane society

It was weeks after Miranda was born that I got rid of my cat. Kitty Bumpkin. He'd been with me since before I was married, when I was living alone in my first 400-square-foot apartment in Taylorsville. I loved him. But when Miranda was born, he started peeing all over everything. I don't have that much patience.

I don't know if this is related to the baby on its way or not, but Tigger has been going all over my new basement. At first I thought it was because he was staking his territory with the construction workers downstairs all the time. But now they're gone and he's still doing it. I can't get it to stop and I'm about ready to go crazy.

So, I've decided to re-train him to go outside--he's been using training pads because he was never really trained. I put him in his travel kennel and I'm only going to let him out to go outside or if I can keep my eyes on him 100 percent of the time. This is a last resort. If this doesn't work, if any of you know someone who would like a purebred chihauhau who goes on pads, let me know.

He really is a cute dog and we've grown to love him, but it's usually right after I have a baby that I lose patience for anything that didn't grow in my uterus. I know this makes me sound like a horrible person, but I never really wanted this dog in the first place and I think of him as expendable. He was given to us. And he was an expensive dog. The person who bought him paid over $2000 for him. And you know me, I can never pass up a "good deal."

I'm trying to be patient. I really am. Even now, as I'm listening to him whining and barking and trying to get me to take him out of the travel kennel. He'd better get used to it. He's got another hour before I'm taking him outside again for another potty break.