Monday, February 26, 2007

A soon-to-be-outdated family picture

I hadn't had a family picture taken since Christmas of 2004. It had my complete family--Eric, me, Bianca, and Miranda. I didn't know when we had it taken that it would be the only one with Miranda in it. And I couldn't bear to have another one taken without her. In fact, I haven't even had a picture of Bianca taken since the accident. I don't know what I'm waiting for; it just seems wrong to have pictures taken without her.

But this Christmas, we had a "mandatory" family picture taken. Since my dad's been sick, my mom wanted to make sure we had a more recent photo taken with the entire (and I mean entire) family since we all came to St. Louis to spend Christmas together. Each family had its own picture.

I wasn't looking forward to it. Not only can Miranda never be in it, but I'm pregnant. And let's face it. Two things are going to happen here. First, the family picture is going to be outdated in, well, two months from now. And secondly, my body is pregnant. Translation: My nose will be at least an inch wider (which happens every time I am pregnant), my face breaks out, I can barely fit into any clothes that are decent, and well, my body is just plain swollen. Who wants a memory of that?

But we did it. Just like my mom wanted. Merry Christmas, mom. I even bought one little copy of the picture. We're certain on one thing: This is our last child, my last pregnancy. Maybe next time I forget how awful it is to be pregnant--the awful back pain, the uncomfortable nights trying to sleep, the peeing five times a night, the fat nose, I'll look back at that picture and remember that this is definitely my last pregnancy.

Quigleys at Christmas