Wednesday, November 1, 2006

A Weekend Away

We're going to the Cowboys Against Cancer benefit in Wyoming in November. We went last year too and had a blast. As I'm planning to head out of town, I've been thinking about something that happened last year that I've just got to put down. It's so funny I don't want to forget it.

When we arrived last year, we stayed at Amy's mom's house. Her grandparents were staying there as well. Her grandfather is a nice old man, who is a little hard of hearing, who was very successful in his career and talks to you as if you were in a job interview. After the grill of what my husband does and what I do, I nearly asked him if I had gotten the job.

As our kids, Bianca, Devyn, and Jaxon were running around the house, playing and getting into everything, we quickly learned that "Grandpa" didn't know Amy's kids' names. I believe he called them, "hey you." It wasn't a big deal, but Amy and I must have mentioned it in passing while the kids were somewhere nearby because we soon realized our kids listen a lot more than we knew.

Bianca and Devyn were getting into Amy's mom's jewelry box--losing at least several pieces of jewelry--when Grandpa entered the room. He turned to Bianca and asked her how old she was. She had just turned four, so she stated proudly that she was four. He was trying to tease her a little, so he insisted that she was only three.

"No, I'm 4."

"No you're not, you're only 3."

After going back and forth four or five times, Bianca got fed up. She put both her hands on her hips and replied loudly and adamantly, "I'm four. I just had my birthday and I know I'm four." Grandpa finally thought the game was over, so he agreed, okay she was four.

Bianca waited a minute, then turned to Grandpa again and said, "And by the way, her name is Devyn."

To which Grandpa responded, "What? You're seven?" Amy and I tried our hardest not to burst into laughter right then and there. But we've laughed many times since, retelling the story.

I hope we get to see Grandpa again this year. I'll make sure Bianca knows she's five this time too, just in case.