Tuesday, June 27, 2006

School Uniforms as Equalizers

Bianca starts kindergarten in September at a private school. They require a particular uniform, of course.

I wanted to buy it this month, as the store has ten percent off in June. It's not as easy as it sounds. The store is pretty screwed up--only open on from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and it's located downtown Salt Lake. I kept wanting to go by and never got a chance. Today, a friend of mine from the neighborhood went by and picked up an extra skirt for Bianca.

She stopped by my house on the way home. It's okay. It's a pleated, black-white-red plaid skort. It's $40. I spent $40 on one piece of clothing. I only wanted her to pick up the one.

As I wrote out a check for my friend, I thought about how I was so exited that Bianca would be wearing a uniform to school. How it's an equalizer. No kids are judged by how much money their parents make, based on the clothes they wear. Everyone looks the same.

Then I realized that no way in hell would I ever normally pay $40 for one skirt. Ever. I'm a 75 percent off shopper. I pay $10 for a complete outfit at Dillard's after-season sale for next year. School uniform as an equalizer? Whatever. The thing I'm most realizing that in order to wear an "equalizer" uniform, your parents have to shell out quite a bit of money. Simple as that. I don't think of them as equalizers anymore.

To even things out, I think I'll buy the rest of the uniform--the knee socks, white shirts, and black pants--at Target if I can get away with it.